Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Fives and Tens


I have been working on Olive's training more lately, in preparation for her first dog class on January 10th. I don't know, I guess I don't want her to be totally untrained and unruly. I want to show I have at least tried haha.

She has sit, wait, and hi five down cold. Now we've upped it from "Hi 5!" to "Gimme 10" with great success. She sure does love to hi five, that's for sure... even when you don't want her to.

Olive does know a good number of words/phrases though. It is not that she is slow, she is incredibly smart. But with that intelligence comes stubbornness. That is why I am seeking the help of professionals. Not to put too much stock in breed, but Bostons are known to be smart and Bulldogs are definitely known to be stubborn, so it makes sense.

I hope to someday have her trained to be a therapy dog. Its looking pretty grim at this point though. Therapy dogs cant get excited and it is just her nature to be happy and excited. She loves everyone and loves to show it. I thought she would be great with kids in the hospital because she is so friendly and goofy and she loves kids, but I dont think she would pass the certification process. Kind of a bummer, but I guess we'll see what happens after Dog School is over.

But you know, I like her being excitable and hyper. I wanted a dog with personality. I didnt want a couch potato, I wanted a dog to play with. Thats part of the reason that attracted me to the mix in the first place. I get to play and goof around with her and then when she is tired, I get to cuddle. I mean, what more could you ask for?

My goal in the new year is to teach her to skateboard. You can full expect videos of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment